As my mom says "if it was easy, everyone would be doing it".
So here are some of the was completed up until a few hours ago. So now it is about crossing our fingers and seeing if we can re-fire this work to a higher cone. We will loose the glaze, but that isn't the time consuming part (*As time consuming). Wish us all luck.
I asked again and again.... Before I started, while working, and after the disaster - over a 6 year period about "these tiles for outdoors, is this going to work? What am I suppose to do / need to do?" and "why isn't this working???" - Was told low fire was the way to go.... was told I was firing high enough (05) ....That turns out to be high enough to be 300 degrees too cool to keep the moisture out. I guess I just wasn't saying the right things, or .... something.
NONE THE LESS WE HAVE A SOLUTION!!!
But not after it has taken many casualties. Several completed tiles that are all glazed with really expensive glazes and their bodies are not fired high enough to prevent the disaster that occurred before. All those tiles from before that are in the wall, we are removing all of them and starting completely fresh. This is going to be a lot of work - but it is still really enjoyable work and I believe in the cause tremendously. But emotionally, on my ego and amount of sweat and tears already into this work and another kiln load full of tiles (another 20 or so).... It is fair to say this has been on the "harder" end of the days of my life - more emotionally than anything else. All I wanted to know is the best method.... then it was why... 6 years later of banging my head against the wall, I'm not sure how to take it other than I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel - and ideally this time it is not an on-coming train. :)
I believe its getting better every day.